The student news site of Shorewood High School in Shoreline, Washington

The Kolus

Student Musicians: Their advice to you

Abby Linn

Between band, orchestra and choir, it isn’t abnormal to hear a trombone or trumpet blasting down the 1000s hallway, but how many of these students play those instruments seriously outside of school?

Senior Connor Vermeys fits that definition. He has been playing drums since he was five years old, and at 17, he plays in a post-hardcore band called “Stories Away.” He acknowledged that although he’s been playing drums for the majority of his life, he didn’t start playing seriously until he was 13.

Outside of his band he plays the upright bass and guitar. He advises to never give up on playing and to always have fun making music. When asked if he had any advice for other aspiring musicians, he said “I would say to just keep at it and have fun with it. Music can take you to cool places and as tedious practicing can be at times, it’s well worth it in the end.”

Kaia Barnes is another student musician at Shorewood. She plays rhythm guitar in an alternative all-girl band called “ATM”. She joined the band in February of 2014. She says that joining the band has given her an experience to play in front of people, which she wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. It has also exposed her to new music and writing styles, helping her to find her own style.

What’s her advice to musicians? Play what you want to play. Play music for yourself, if you don’t you will never be happy with your music.

These students are only two out of the many student musicians here at Shorewood. Both agree that playing music, especially with other people, is a great experience and an amazing way of self-expression.