The student news site of Shorewood High School in Shoreline, Washington

The Kolus

Staff Editorial

SAS: the perfect compromise

Editorial Board

The highly anticipated “new” school has been in place for the better half of two years, but the eerie feeling that nobody is quite at home looms over us. A number of things could contribute this, whether it be lingering nostalgia, vexations over the bland, white walls, or a number of other petty issues, but we believe that the schedule has been the biggest disturbance.

Thankfully, we also think that we’ve found the solution.

Over the past couple of years, Shorewood has faced problems with forming a long-term, practical solution to the issues surrounding break time. Naturally, there is a discrepancy between the ideas that teachers, administrative workers, and students believe break time in schools should accomplish, but SAS is as close to a compromise as it gets.

The primary purpose of SAS is to allow commuting students (from either Shorecrest High School or Shoreline Community College) to return to school in time for class, but for those of us who are full time students, it serves a different purpose.

Within the 30 minutes that we spend in SAS class, we have the opportunity to work on homework, study, read, or visit with teachers. If this time is used effectively, and students finish a marginal amount of work, they’re able to get the social time they lost in SAS back outside of class, when they otherwise would be laboring over homework. We see no severe downfall with this arrangement, yet the moaning and griping have ceased to halt.

Not to say that certain students aren’t satisfied with the new arrangement, because they are, but there is still a seemingly palpable discontent brewing over it. The bulk of the dissatisfied students believe break time should be an open campus social period, but that’s a fantasy that will never be enacted.

After the 2011-2012 school year, the break period that had been in place for years was retracted. This period was called STAR, and it was beloved by students. It offered much more freedom than SAS, as students were able to visit the student store, walk around the courtyard, and lounge around in the library and classrooms, however the state had other plans for the usage of this time. 

It turned out that Shorewood wasn’t spending the state required time on academic study, so they had to remove STAR, and supplement it with a break that was in more “academic form.”

Even if the administration were keen on making break time more social and free, they wouldn’t be able to. In fact, the only reason we have SAS at all is because it’s considered to be within the realm of academic activity. We believe that grievances and quibbles aimed at the new break by the students are fatuous, and that SAS is a satisfactory compromise that serves as both a cool down, and catch up period for students.

That being said, the student body needs to wholly accept the policy for it to serve its purpose, otherwise the schools’, and our time is simply being wasted. So even if you don’t enjoy SAS, consider the idea of twiddling your thumbs for an entire school year-or multiple years if you aren’t a senior-and how monotonous that would get. If this is you, it’s time for a change, because SAS is here to stay.