The student news site of Shorewood High School in Shoreline, Washington

The Kolus

Dear Abby & Luke

homecoming help for 9th graders

Abby Linn and Luke Broderson

Dear Abby,

I’m a freshman and I’m worried about getting a date to homecoming. All of my friends are already planning on asking someone. How do I choose who to ask, and how do I do it?

Sincerely,

Fresh-Man

Dear Fresh-Man,

Thanks for your letter, I understand where you are coming from. However, don’t fret! It’s totally cool that you’re an awkward freshman. We’ve all been there. I’m no expert, but here are a few suggestions that might help.

1) Find a person that you think you’ll have a good time with! Having fun is honestly the most important thing, especially at school dances. Your first Homecoming is something you’ll always remember, so make it worthwhile.

2) When you ask, know your “audience” because not everyone likes a show. Make it short, make it sweet, or if they are into it, make a big scene. Be creative with how you ask! Use the Internet, use your brain, just don’t go the classic route.

3) Don’t feel like the dance is obligatory! You don’t even have to worry about getting a date. Go in a group, go with a friend, or don’t go at all. High school is the time for you to make your own decisions.

Let’s be honest, your freshman homecoming is not going to be even close to your favorite experience in high school, although it might be the most uncomfortable. All I can tell you is it isn’t as important to your social life as you probably think, and there are a lot more exciting times ahead of you!