‘Anything Goes’ next month with the fall play

meet new drama director Zach Gill

Sara Tieu, reporter

After school, Shorewood’s halls are mostly quiet and still.

But down at the Black Box, a performance space down in the music department, you may hear upbeat singing, lively music, and cheerful laughter. These would be the sounds of Shorewood’s drama students, busily preparing for Anything Goes, the upcoming fall play.

Anything Goes is set in the 1930’s, on a ship heading from New York to London. The story follows Billy Crocker, a poor and young New Yorker, who falls in love with Hope Harcourt, a girl on her way to London with her fiancé, a wealthy British nobleman. Billy follows Hope onto the cruise, and the adventure begins.

Junior Kate Parkinson compares Anything Goes to a “happy ‘Titanic.’” Freshman Rowan Murray further describes the play as filled with “turbulent love struck events.”

Preparing for a musical requires daily hard work.

“We warm-up… then we start running scenes, running lines, practicing, singing, dancing,” said Murray, describing a typical day of play production.

Murray, who may also be recognized as English teacher Tim Murray’s son, is part of the ensemble. He and his fellow drama students have to work hard to get their parts down. Being in a musical means that they have even more parts to learn, especially in singing and dancing.

“We have a choreographer who teaches us the dance moves,” said Parkinson, who plays the bishop at the beginning of the play and later becomes a part of the ensemble. “For the singing, we learn all the music together and then we learn parts or learn harmonies, and then work on the words.”

This year, a new face is guiding the training of the drama students.

Introducing Zachary Gill, Shorewood’s new drama director. Gill worked at Einstein last year and was offered a job at Shorewood. “Ms. Lachman decided to step down as the drama head… She wanted to be able to focus more on teaching English,” Gill said.

Gill now teaches 9th and 11th grade English and one drama class. He seems to be enjoying his new teaching experience so far. “It’s not too often that you get to get a job like this,” he said. “Shorewood is inspiring, and that covers the students, the faculty, the building itself, the facilities, and the community. It’s a really wonderful place to be.”

Both students and faculty have given praise to Gill. “He is a fantastic director. I feel very privileged to be working with him,” said Murray.

Daniel Wing, conductor of the pit orchestra, said, “He has a tremendous knowledge of musical theater and he’s shown that he’s very well organized and has a great concept of how things are put together.”

Wing also elaborated on the pit orchestra, which consists of both orchestra and band instruments. The orchestra pit, which is an area located under the stage where the pit orchestra plays, was installed along with the new school and has yet to be performed in.

The pit orchestra will be playing live music during play performances. “We haven’t yet started orchestra rehearsals but we have the orchestra put together,” he said. “We’ve already had the orchestra in the pit [for the first time], checking acoustics.”

The pit orchestra will be debuted at the first performance of the show, which will take place on November 13th. An impressive number of eight shows will be played.

“We have amazing singers and dancers and actors and the music in the show is amazing,” said Gill. “Our students sing the parts amazingly well, and there’s going to be lots of high energy dancing that’s going to be really fun… It’s decidedly the event of the fall.”