The Kolus

Super Smash Bros

It's a smash hit!

Hunter Lowdon, Staff Reporter

The world watched the Nintendo Direct of March 2018 with baited breath. As Nintendo announced new game titles and game updates, their fans became more and more excited to see the new Super Smash Bros. announcement come. Right at the end of the livestream, the final announcement made was showing off a teaser that a new Smash Bros. title would come to the Nintendo Switch.

Super Smash Bros. is a video game franchise that has been around since 1999. The first game, Super Smash Bros., was released on the Nintendo 64 home entertainment system. The second game, Super Smash Bros. Melee, was released in 2001 for the Gamecube video game console. In 2008 the third installment to the series, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, was released for the Wii video game console. The current and most up to date game is Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U which was released in 2014 for the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U video game console. With all of that history brings us to the new Super Smash Bros.

The title and date of the new Super Smash Bros. is unknown, but it was announced that the new game would release sometime in 2018 for the Nintendo Switch video game console. There are a couple of other things that are confirmed about the new Super Smash Bros. when it comes to characters. The first Super Smash Bros. game released with 12 playable characters and the most recent game had up to 58 playable characters. In the teaser for the new Super Smash Bros., we see the Inklings from the game Splatoon, Mario from the Mario Bros. series, and Link from the Zelda franchise. In one of the camera angles many silhouettes are shown of different characters, but it can be hard to identify which character is which. From this one camera angle, many fans have taken different approaches in trying to figure out who is who among all the silhouettes. There are many theories, but only time will reveal the truth as to who will be in the next game.

When looking at a new game with no information on it many people will come up with different theories as to what they expect the game to withhold. A current issue that has been a big topic of interest is whether this game will be a port or a brand new game. A port is where a game that has already been released is taken and re-released on a different console. Usually, when the game is released for the second time, the creators will add something new or update the graphics of the game. A good example of this happening is when Nintendo took their well-known game Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U and released is again for the Nintendo Switch with the new name of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. While Nintendo has used this method in the recent past, it concerns fans that they will not be receiving their brand new toy but rather an old one that is made to look new.

With all of the new ideas going around on how the fifth Super Smash Bros. will turn out, some Shorewood students put on their thinking caps and shared their views on what they would like to see in the upcoming game. Bergen Lunde, junior, Luke Hohenstein, freshman, and another student who prefers to stay anonymous were interviewed.

Q: What new content or characters would you like to see in Super Smash Bros. 5?

-Lunde: The content I expect to see coming into the next generation of Smash is hopefully a flood of vibrant new, or returning characters like Snake (from the Metal Gear series) or Ice climbers (from the game Ice Climbers ). I’d also like to see some kind of competitive ranking system put into place, i think that’d be really neat.

-Hohenstein: I think there should be new game modes that are new to the franchise.

-Anonymous: There should be more variations in the attacks used from character to character. For example, some attacks should leave side effects. I also think more characters should be added from the Zelda franchise.

Q: There was a story mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, should something like that return to the newest game?

-Lunde: Honestly the best part of Brawl so I hope so.

-Hohenstein: The campaign mode was my favorite part of Super Smash Bros. Brawl because when I didn’t have friends over it would make the game more fun and interesting. I want to see it return to the new game.

-Anonymous: Yes, I’m hoping it will return, but this time with a co-op mode.

Q: Who is your favorite character from past smash bros games?

-Lunde: Kirby, for sure, too cute.

-Hohenstein: Link, because I liked his long range weapons like the bow and arrows.

-Anonymous: Samus (from the Metroid series) or Roy (from the Fire Emblem series)