The Kolus

Student Artists

These Students Are Van Goghing Somewhere

Stephen Cunningham

Stephen Cunningham

Raven Abridello, Staff Reporter

Everyone has something they love to do. Whether it’s playing sports, playing an instrument, reading, or just watching TV, everyone has a favorite pastime. For some Shorewood students, that pastime is creating art, and it has become more than just a hobby; it’s part of their lives.

For Stephen Cunningham, sophomore, photography has been part of his life for the past three years, and the love for it has only grown since then. “I’ve always wanted a camera, and once I got one I fell in love with photography,” Cunningham said. “Once I got my camera in seventh grade I fell in love and my passion skyrocketed.” Ardelle Ning, senior, has had drawing in her life since she was kindergarten, using it as a way to communicate. “To make up for my poor communication skills, I drew instead, hoping others would notice me through my drawings,” Ning said. “Art helped me make some of my first friends, and has been with me ever since.”

While Cunningham said he doesn’t plan to pursue a full career in photography, he said that it is something he would want to continue with in the future by integrating it with future jobs. The same statement doesn’t hold for Alex Lewis, freshman, or for Luke Shelley, junior, who both said that they would be interested in pursuing a career in art. Ning said she doesn’t plan on pursuing a full-time art career, but explained her current job involving art. “I work for a company illustrating their curriculum for helping children learn how to read and spell, which is extremely rewarding,” said Ning.

Inspirations for these artists come from very different places. Cunningham explained that while other photographers inspire him to use certain techniques, he mostly gets his inspiration from his friends. “My main inspiration for my photographs are my friends. Their emotions help me construct more powerful images that tell a story.” Lewis said that he mostly gets his inspiration from indie-folk music, such as Daughter and Fleet Foxes. Shelley explained how he got inspiration from seeing how different companies market products, such as the designs on Starbucks windows, and the designs for the cups.

While there are vast differences between their art styles and mediums, all three of these artists could agree that they believe that art should be used as a voice. “Art is anything that conveys yourself somewhere else. Drawing that has your personality, writing has your voice.” said Lewis. “To me, art is something that helps you express yourself, see something that has a purpose or a use.” said Shelley. Ning said “Personally, I would consider art as anyone’s unique perspective and how they choose to express it to others. I think it’s hard to define art because of how many different forms of it there are, but I think each artist has a different way of seeing the world, and that’s what makes it so interesting. As long as a piece is able to send a message to the audience and make them feel or think of something, I would consider it art worth its while.”