Some Favorite Albums of 2016

Erica Hatcher, Section Editor

There’s a common opinion among most that 2016 had to be one of the wildest experiences that couldn’t be easily explained. We had endured loss, grief, pride, warfare, and many events that shook the world as a whole. But one of the better aspects of this last year is the impressive collection of music that artists had to offer us. Here’s some of the student body’s favorite albums of 2016.

“Coloring Book” by Chance the Rapper

Do you hear those trumpets? You may be hearing the sweet sounds of this gospel rap album that took the Internet by storm overnight. With songs featuring Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Lil Yachty, Future, Ty Dolla $ign and many more, the productions sounds were of many influences. “All Night”, produced by Kaytranada, is a song that strongly focuses on the issue of trust after Chance’s claim of fame. While this album is very entertaining and good for winding down, it has more underlying messages we can learn from.

“Malibu” by Anderson .Paak

Partially slow and sultry soul, partially upbeat and pulsing groove, it’s hard to not  to move when these tracks come on. .Paak’s profound sound has caught the attention of many, especially after the release of single, “Come Down”, with its unforgettably funky bass line and catchy lyrics. I can’t even really compare the artists sound to another as this album presents itself as genuinely authentic in this time but with the influence of some ‘70s funk.

“I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It” by The 1975

The British indie pop/rock band created a beautiful album that talks about the idea of what faith is, letting go of unreciprocated love, and how we should take time out of our day to appreciate those around us. Their undeniably honest lyrics carry on throughout the song list, with “Love Me” actually making a mockery of societal fame and public image that comes along with it. It’s fun and bouncy synth sounds make even the more somber songs enjoyable!

“Skin” by Flume

It had been four years since the last solo album release by the Australian producer but the wait was all worth it. The hit single, “Never Be Like You”, was blasting through everyone’s radios this past summer ‘16! Skin carries the vibes of carefree dancing and thrashing in an almost whimsical setting of the mind, taking you on a ride through exhilaration and tranquility all at once.
“Starboy” by The Weeknd

With its release just two days after Thanksgiving, there wasn’t a single social media outlet that wasn’t buzzing about the beginning of The Weeknd’s new era. He cut his infamous Dreadlocks and shifted his sound to something more ‘80s R&B influenced. We were all taken by surprise when the self-titled single, produced by Daft Punk, was dropped and sounded like nothing we had heard from his craft before. There’s more of a  poppy dance-driven energy about this album that certainly appealed to wider masses, the world finally gave the artist the praise he deserved.