Makeup vs. No makeup?

Students discuss the pros and cons

Savanna Kerr, Staff Reporter

What do you see when you look into the mirror? Or at an old picture of yourself? Everyone has imperfections, however, do you nd yourself complimenting or criticizing? For most of us, we see certain highlights, but we are quick to jump to what needs to be fixed. Being a high schooler in today’s culture, it’s not hard to judge yourself. Although it can be used for good, Sometimes makeup and photoshop create unhealthy or completely unrealistic standards. These pressured topics all create some sort of judgement, however, for some this idea of feeling beautiful 24/7 creates a sense of motivation, that can actually boost self confidence.

Makeup, used to enhance or alter, can be a beautiful art. There are multiple students at Shorewood who have not only taken it up as a hobby, but have described it on a deeper level. Alexis Cambronero, Sophomore, who makes makeup videos and is commonly known for her makeup skills, expresses her motivation: “It’s my passion and gets me through the day.” Kelly Holmstrom, a fellow YouTuber who has made multiple videos about makeup says “You go a cover up those imperfections! Girls should be confident without makeup, but it boosts confidence levels.” Here we may question, is it necessary to always cover imperfections? Is it unhealthy to never let yourself or others see the natural imperfections you have?

According to Molly Kirk, Freshman, it’s hard to go without makeup. “I feel uncomfortable without it on, I wear it for my confidence. I don’t feel beautiful without makeup, it makes me feel like a new person.” Abby Manis, Sophomore, who rarely wears makeup, states, “I personally don’t value my looks enough to put time into my appearance.” Here we have a contradicting opinion on altering and enhancing. To challenge this Abby did a social experiment on wearing make up. She was pulled out of class, and went back in with a full face of makeup, and a room full of opinions. When being asked how she felt with makeup on, she responded with, “I felt naked, like I had to cover up. Uglier ”. Seeing how uncomfortable she was, I asked, How did people treat you differently? In response, she said “People paid more attention to me because I was prettier to them. When I don’t wear makeup I just don’t stand out as much.” Abby, simply looks at makeup as a waste of time.

Next speaking to two seniors at Shorewood, I asked what boys think about makeup. Ji says “A girl that wears less makeup is not less attractive. It goes deeper than the looks. Makeup becomes a secondary thing, it’s an added deal.” However when being asked about their favorite types of makeup they were quick to state what was appealing to them. “Brows, lashes & highlight. That’s pretty poppin” says Tae. Here we see the message that makeup isn’t needed, but it looks good when applied. These ideas could send confusing messages to students questioning whether they really do look just as good with or without makeup.

But when is too much makeup? Tae says “If you hug them and foundation comes off,”  Abby on the other hand had a more humorous response. “If you can lick your finger and wipe their eyebrows off ”. Ji’s opinion is that excessive amounts of makeup is “highly unnecessary”.

Sophomore inn Cohee who has been both complimented and criticized on her makeup concluded “At the end of the day you can just take it off and it doesn’t define who you are.”