Election 2016 Leaves Many Wondering What’s Next

Will Stelter and Sky Bishop

Will Stelter — Staff Reporter

It’s time to get involved and support each other

On election day, Donald Trump became our president-elect. Days later, high school students across the nation protested his victory, chanting such things as “F— Trump” and “not my president.” As much as I hate Trump, this is not the way to respond.

Let me reiterate: Donald Trump is the epitome of everything I despise. He’s racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, lies constantly, denies climate change, lacks empathy, and is ignorant. I cannot think of a person I revile more than Donald Trump.

To be sure, we will be saddled with the baggage of Trump’s presidency for years to come.  e environment, Obamacare-dependents, and the economy may su er. Moreover, minorities are threatened now more than ever after racism, hatred, and fear have been declared “presidential.”

Regardless of my hatred of Trump and fear for our future, he will be president. He won fair and square.

Which brings me back to the protests. Chanting “not my president,” and “f— Trump” won’t change anything. He’s not going to get impeached or thrown out of office.  at sounds like the talk of Tea Party- ers who have tried to impeach Obama for the past eight years.

Instead, we have to come together and support threatened groups. In my physics class, we did the best thing I can imagine: all 20 of us students sat in a circle and shared our thoughts. Some expressed fear for their safety, anger at the system, and despair. Many of us, myself included, cried. Afterwards, though, we all knew we had each other’s backs. Link arms, sway, sing Kumbaya, whatever – the most important thing we can do is make sure we care for each other.

After catharsis, get involved in government. Now is the time to contact your senator or representative. Champion your viewpoint and prepare yourself to be challenged. And don’t be afraid to be wrong – listen to everyone.  They may know things you don’t.

We are at a crossroads. Before us, a multitude of paths take us down many roads, some leading to darker places than others. Some are paved and smooth, others are rough and difficult. We are faced with choices that will have ramifications for our whole lives. Now, the best road is the high road.

Sky Bishop—Guest Writer

It’s time to speak out and resist

Our country has willingly elected a man whose platform was cemented in xenophobia, sexism, and bigotry in all its forms. People argue we should accept Trump’s leadership until he does something truly outrageous, but he already has.

Someone who has faced discrimination lawsuit a er lawsuit and spent the past few years traveling the country spreading words of intolerance and hate is not going to somehow magically change for the better. He is personally appointing people with radical and bigoted histories into his staff

Since his nomination there’s been a noticeable rise in hate crimes against minorities of all kinds that he is making no genuine effort to deter. This reinvigorated discrimination is not just in the Southern states as we try to dismissively reassure ourselves, but in Western Washington, in our backyards, and right here at Shorewood. We cannot afford to wait for things to escalate more than they already have to take action.

When we protest, we are expressing our disgust not only with Trump and his administration, but the terrifying reality of American society. rough activism, we send a message that we will not be passive in the face of the violence and the injustice inflicted by our own government and people.

The very real threats our society has been faced with will not be overcome by a simple sigh and “this sucks” in the break room. Protests may not have an immediate legislative impact, but the idea that they do nothing is untrue.

By occupying the streets we occupy the minds of the nation. e manifested outrage of tens of thousands of people is not some- thing that can be overlooked. For many (immigrants, the homeless, our youth), protest is the only way they can make their crises known as they have no voice in the legislative process.

Our voices as students matter just as much as any other, if not more, because this is our future that’s in danger. We cannot be silent during this pivotal point in American history, and our actions on the streets speak louder than any Facebook post or safety pin. For the sake of those beyond yourself, stand up and fight back.