The student news site of Shorewood High School in Shoreline, Washington

The Kolus

Miller’s Weekend

The Mac Miller concert in review

Erica Hatcher, Aperture Editor

With everyone in line dressed in their Friday’s best, I’m not sure anyone was mentally ready to get down as hard as we did this weekend of Nov. 4.
On this special tour, Mac Miller has been accompanied by openers CLOCKWORKDJ and Andre Power of Soulection. Admittedly, I had never heard of either opener, but disappointment was nowhere near us for the night.
CLOCKWORKDJ worked  the crowd into a state of utter frenzy with  hits from Travis Scott, Drake, A$AP Ferg, Rob $tone, and even the likes of our very own beloved Nirvana (you know we shook the Showbox SoDo to “Smells Like Teen Spirit”). Energy levels reached a new high when CLOCKWORKDJ suddenly busted out his original tracks, rapping and jumping along with the crowd.
While Andre Power had given us a wonderful set overall, technical errors caused the music to completely cut out. But once all the mishaps were dealt with we were back to rocking out. He dropped YG’s “Why You Always Hatin?”, classic Usher (everybody was feeling that good old R&B from back in the day), and really took the crowd to that next level with some Waka Flocka Flame. And after all of that easy-going dancing, we were all ready for our “favorite part.”
“The key that I won’t forget” about Miller’s performance: how in tune the crowd remained the entire night! The Pittsburgh-native started his set off with “Cinderella”  featuring  Ty Dolla $ign. That opening, with its slower fusion of rock and rap had everyone swaying together while still fueling the excitement of knowing what was to come. He performed the hit single, “100 Grandkids,” from his album GO:OD AM the popularly active song while slowing down the ending to add a little soulful touch. It was exhilarating to hear one of my absolute favorite songs when the opening keys to,“ DANG!”, blew from the speakers. We all started clapping along and yelling out the lyrics together. I couldn’t stop grinning from start to finish.
Surprisingly, Miller did not perform as many of the newer tracks from “The Divine Feminine” as expected, but that left room for  the old-time fans to hear his classics. Going as far back as his mixtape, K.I.D.S. , he dropped my  favorites from all stages of his career. For music lovers it was amazing to watch the artistry unfold right before us, seeing Miller so engaged with the crowd and having the time of his life.
The entire night was full of this feeling that made the crowd jump for the stars. Miller spoke to the crowd about his feelings on his success, love and how it should be shared, and even gave his two cents on the election before performing “Donald Trump” (he had plenty of jokes to make about the candidate). I never wanted that magical night to end. We should’ve asked if he would “stay just a little while, just a little while” longer for us.