Boys’ tennis in 1st place

T-birds host Mountlake Terrace Wednesday night

Sara Tieu, staff reporter

SW boys tennis vs Glacier Peak  2014 057It’s a short walk down to Shorewood’s new tennis courts. Down by the field, there are still some signs of construction, but the fences of the six new courts stand proud and tall.

With the opening of brand new tennis courts came a great start to the boy’s varsity tennis season.

“We started out really strong,” said Arnie Moreno, tennis coach and former Shorewood Health and PE teacher. “The guys are really playing confident… There’s lots of experience and depth in our lineup, so we think we can beat anyone.”

The boy’s varsity tennis team is enjoying the royal blue courts. “The new courts are amazing,” said Moreno. “We love the blue color.”

Aside from the color, the new courts also have better nets and more space. Junior Robert Hoang said, “The courts are much wider than the ones at Shoreview and we can actually do more than you can do at Shoreview.”

Previously, Shorewood practices and home matches have been played at Shoreview, a park located next to Shoreline Community College. Shorewood’s varsity tennis players used to have to drive to Shoreview after JV practice finished, but now that the courts are situated right next to the school, their practices and home matches take place right after school and they can walk there in only a minute.

Other than convenience, the location of the new courts also inspires more school spirit. “It’s a big advantage to practice on campus. It encourages more staff and students to watch matches,” said Moreno. Sophomore Joseph Jang, who is in his first year on varsity, added, “People can see us. People can come support the team easier.”

Students who attended the Fall Sports Assembly may remember #packthestands, which was one of the hashtags in the varsity boy’s tennis video. “We kind of joked that there’s no one at the matches besides the coaches and players and parents,” explained sophomore Peter Smith, who is also Jang’s doubles partner.

The team hopes that having on-campus courts will encourage more people to come support them at matches and, well, pack the stands.

#welcometothecage was another hashtag the team used in their Fall Sports Assembly video. The courts are set up in a fashion where one court is isolated. The team nicknamed this single court “the Cage”. “It’s where singles one plays. It’s the cage match,” explained senior Scott Park, who is one of the two team captains.

The Cage is just one of the many new tennis traditions to come. “It’s cool because we’re making up new traditions because they’re new courts,” said Jang.

It turns out that the new courts aren’t just about the convenience, the blue color, or even the better nets. Rather, they bring a sense of Shorewood pride to tennis. Shorewood tennis can finally represent their school on courts that they can call their own.