New Teen Clinic

Grace Proffitt, Staff Reporter

For the many Shoreline students needing guidance and help on issues they don’t feel they can take home, the Shoreline ICHS (International Community Health Services) Clinic, located only a few blocks from Shorewood, may be the answer.
ICHS, a recent addition to our community, introduced this fall a teen program designed to give assistance to residents ages 14-26. Megan Wilbert, the ICHS teen program’s nurse practitioner, describes how the teen program was established by ICHS. “We got connected to parents and school administrators and one of the things they told us was that they saw a need for more young adult services here.”
So what exactly does the program do? The clinic aims to help teens with problems they wouldn’t seek help for from parents or teachers, such as reproductive care. The help provided by the clinic does not stop there, however. Patients can also come in for assistance with problems ranging from mental health care to a bad cold.
Additionally, a feature of the clinic is the free or low cost aspect of the program, including a sliding scale fee for uninsured patients. “If someone is under 18 and not working…they will not have a fee at all,” says Wilbert. The program stresses the importance of confidentiality, including when charges are made to insurance.
For those who are looking to visit the program and would find a translator useful or necessary for communication, free interpretation services are provided for a large variety of languages and dialects. The clinic, which got its start in Seattle’s International District, strives to provide true international service that can help and work with a variety of cultures and languages.
The program also has a teen group called HYPE (Healthy Youth Peer Educators), which meets twice a month to have conversations about health. The group provides community service hours and includes teens from a variety of education programs.
The clinic is located at 16549 Aurora Ave N., Shoreline WA 98133. The teen program is open Wednesday from 3-6 p.m., with both walk-ins and appointments welcome. If you are interested in contacting ICHS to schedule an appointment or learn more about the program, call (206)-788-3785 or email at [email protected]